To give you the best chance of making a successful application, read on for our top tips.
- The online application form should take around 30 minutes to complete (not including the video application). Take your time over each question and if necessary, pause and come back to your application with fresh eyes.
- Check how many parts there are to a single question and ensure that you answer each part carefully. For example, question one has two parts; please answer both.
- To help you structure your answers, we suggest you use the STAR approach:
Situation – what was the situation?
Task – what needed to be done – what was the objective?
Action – what action did you take? Use the first person pronoun (“I did” “I created”) here. We also advise taking a look at our values, and weaving these into your answer.
Result – what happened in the end? The result should be a positive one. If it is negative, make it into a positive i.e. what did you learn from it?
- Please ensure that any examples you use in your answers are based on real-life situations rather than hypotheticals. Provide significant detail about any activities or events that you describe in your answer.
- Don’t forget to do your research when writing about why you’d like to join our Brand Manager Programme. Our website has a wealth of information for you to use and it’s important for you to know what Teach First do and about our vision and mission.
- Many candidates fall down on spelling and grammar so please check your application through thoroughly before submitting. One way of doing this is by copying and pasting your answer into a Word document.
- Think about your writing style: this is a job application so do take a professional approach when answering the questions.
- When making your video application please bear in mind the following:
- do not go over four minutes.
- for question two, really consider the student group that you choose. What events could you run to attract this group? Where would you run these events and why? What can Teach First offer the students that attend the events?
- don’t forget to relax, smile, look at the camera. Make sure your energy and enthusiasm shine through and communicate your thoughts and ideas clearly and concisely.